Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cheddar Sandwiches, Cake Pops and Shady Ladies

     I could not find my pants this morning. They were not in the landry hamper, not in the dryer, not on the floor of my bedroom, and certainly not folded on my shelf. My friend, Janet, was coming over in 10 minutes to take me out to lunch and I could not find my pants anywhere. I have 3 pairs of jeans that I wear regularly and I could only find the size 12s. If I was going to lunch with Janet, I would need the 14s, fo' sho'. Turns out they were on my daughter's bed. I must have got sidetracked by Facebook (which I would have opened on her computer) and left them there.
     With my comfy jeans and my grey suede boots, I was ready for Janet, who arrived in her oldladymobile. I prefer to call it a luxury vehicle, but it's true - The cops would probably not pull you over even if you squealed the tires, Janet.
     We drove all the way to Cherry Valley to have lunch at the Cherry Valley Restaurant, but they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Urgh. We ended up going to Schroedter's on the corner of Highway 62 and County Road One. I'm sorry. It might not be called Schroedter's anymore, but that's what I always call it and I forgot to look at the sign. It's that market on the corner going to Belleville that has organic and gluten-free stuff. I go there for the cinnamon sugar donuts. Had no idea they served lunch.
     Walking into the dining room is like walking into my grandmother's kitchen :'( Almost brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. There are straight-backed wooden chairs around all the vinyl table cloth-topped tables (including a long one that seats six), antique-looking chandeliers on the ceiling, wooden floors and wooden shelves lined with 100s of jars of pickles and relish. I guess there was a bumper crop of cucumbers this year.
     You can have soup and homemade bread for $4.00 or soup and sandwich for $10.99. Normally , I would call that pricey for a soup and sandwich deal, but I was excited to try the homemade bread. There were six soups all lined up in crock pots beside the kitchen. I remember there was chili, turkey vegetable, beef vegetable and tomato vegetable. Lots of meat with vegetables. And lots of meat and cheese sandwiches. I ordered the only meatless options - tomato vegetable soup and one-year-old cheddar sandwich.
     Janet and I chatted about her family a bit because there is always excitement in her family. In fact, her sister, Jenna, was having a grand opening for her photography studio across the road. Already, we were making a day of our lunch. All the while, a group of friendly-looking gramma and grampa people were busy in the kitchen. Reminded me a little it of a Santa's Workshop or something.
     The soup was so yummy on a cold, wet, November day. Lots of pepper and chunks of tomatoes. I just finished licking the bowl when my sandwich arrived. HOLY SHIT. My cheddar sandwich was as thick as my coffee mug. The bread must have been made in an 8x8 bar pan! This was not a regular cheese sandwich. There were 3 or 4 slabs of white cheddar topped with half a head of lettuce and brick-sized slices of tomatoes. lol. I exaggerate a bit, but you can see from the photo that this was a sammy of epic proportions.

     I ate half and our server wrapped the rest in plastic. Afterward, we drove across the road to About Image Photography - in part to visit Jenna and support the grand opening at her new location, but mostly to try her cake pops. Apparently, there's a website called Bakerella started by a woman who took a cake decorating class and just went bake-crazy. I will put a link at the bottom of the page because this site is a gold mine of ideas and recipes, including one for cake pops. Now that I have tried them, I am hooked. Definitely one of my favourite things of the week.
     Janet is always a source for some of my favourite things. Which is why I couldn't turn down getting a picture taken of the two of us by Miss Jenna. In between photos of small children hopped up on cake pops, cupcakes and Kool-Aid, Jenna snapped a cute duo of us big kids. The place was a bit of a madhouse; Jenna is a portrait photographer in high demand and she was giving out free 5x7s for the grand opening. There were about 10 toddlers running around thousands of dollars worth of equipment between three or four carseats stuffed with wailing babies and Jenna was just running around with them, snapping the occasional pic between tap-dancing and catching helium-filled balloons.
     When I got home, my daughter was doing a mountain of laundry. She had found my third pair of jeans in the trunk of her car :S

No comments:

Post a Comment