Saturday, December 4, 2010

First Christmas Party of the Season

     Just so you don't think I'm slacking from my blog duties, I will briefly outline my first Christmas party of 2010. While I was at work last night, my husband came in and asked me if I wanted to go to the Mayhew Christmas Party.
     HELLS YEAH I wanna go to the Mayhew Christmas Party! Every time the Mayhews have a party, it is a big deal. People of all ages get in their 4x4s, their ATVs, their minivans and park all over the lawn to gather in and around the garage.
     The best event I've ever attended there was a "burn party" where everyone brings something to light on fire. There were dining room tables, lots of chairs, pallets, brush, building material, etc. Every once in a while, we threw on some motor oil or diesel fuel for effect. I was so hammered by the end of the night, I was dragging branches and pallets through the fire just to keep it going. The blaze singed the surrounding tree branches up to 50 feet high. I eventually passed out in the back of someone's truck.
     This summer, they hosted field races. Everyone brings a vehicle and races around the dirt field. I didn't get there until all the excitement was over, but I heard the drama was fantastic.
     Needless to say, I was excited to go to the Christmas party. So, I got home from work about quarter to nine, changed into my Old Navy jeans, my hoodie and my Ugg knockoffs (lol, please see previous post), threw on some mascara and eyeliner and ran out the door with my hubby,our nephew and his wife. There was nowhere to park. It was about -1 C with a thin crust of snow dotting the yard, so we drove up on the adjoining field with the rest of the vehicles. A large group of people were standing outside of the garage having a smoke. The rest were packed inside with the smoking hot wood stove. I stopped to talk to one person I haven't seen in about 15 years before squeezing through the door.
     The food was just starting to come out - roasted turkey, pulled pork, roast beef... the guests are mostly men who work in construction or other trades, so meat is the only real course. I nibbled on some nacho dip and imitation crab. There were cases and cases of Coors Light, cans of Bud Light everywhere, bottles of rye, jugs of rum, coolers full of ice. It was standing room only.
     Eventually, some of the women (I won't name names) started lighting up inside and this is okay with me. I'm pretty sure we've partied through the fog in previous years. But, there are others (Jody) who are adamantly opposed to second-hand smoke. This caused quite an uproar among the crowd, but it was all in good fun. Jody was not really going to throw anyone through the plate glass window if they didn't butt out. Hahaha.
     I quietly drank my bottle of Mommesin Beaujolais Nouveau in the corner beside the wood stove while trying to catch snippets of conversations which don't really interest me. In fact, I can't recall anything that I might have overheard, but I'm sure it was about snowmobiles, types of motors, the cost of gas and how much work sucks. I do remember Amy playing a really good version of Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch from her iPod.
     My night was cut short by a phone call from my son, who wanted to come home from his friend's house. So, we called a cab around 11pm and headed home. A good start to the season overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment