Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Perfect Trip. The Perfect Trap

     I am a big fan of movies. I don't know when it started; it's only been in the last couple of years. I think it started with the popcorn. Rod and I went to a movie one night and he noticed me shoveling handful after handful into my mouth, like I hadn't had a meal for weeks and someone might take away my large bag with Becel any minute. I don't know what it is about movie theater popcorn, but my mouth just isn't big enough to hold as much as I want to stuff in.
     It's been a while since there was a movie worth seeing at the theatre... how long has Harry Potter 7 been out? lol. I kind of want to see Burlesque and I kind of want to see Tangled, but I haven't had a Tuesday night free lately to go on cheap night. I definitely wanted to see The Tourist, which came out last Friday. On Thursday, I took Rod on a date that cost me about $30. Two tickets = $20.50 and large popcorn with large Coke = $11 and change. I ordered the Combo 2 that comes with 2 drinks, 1 popcorn and some chocolate. But, the crazy bitch told me the M&M pretzels aren't included in that deal. WTF? Has the price of pretzels skyrocketed so that they cannot be in the same league with regular M&Ms? It's alright, though. Saved me about $5 and 1000 calories.
      I really enjoyed the movie. First of all, I'm a fan of Johhny Depp and all of his Tim Burton collaborations. Also a big fan of Angelina Jolie, who is pretty much my alter ego (with a slightly better body and a lot more money).
     It wasn't what I expected though. It had a lot less spy movie action and Hollywood explosions. Instead, it reminded me of an old black and white movie; something that might have starred Bogart and Bacall. And, I really love old black and white movies. There's something about the cinematography that takes nothing for granted. Every door handle, every pregnant pause, the way Depp holds his fake cigarette, the little peek of skin on Angelina's upper thigh when she unzips her dress from the side - all of these things get as much screen time (or more) as the boat chase through Venice and the bullets through the plate glass.
     It got me thinking, "This has to be a remake." And, sure enough, it is. But, the original was only done in 2005 - a French film called Anthony Zimmer. So, I looked up the director. I figured he must be old. Not so. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, best known for his Oscar winning film, The Lives of Others, is the same age as I am! In fact, he was born 21 days before me in Germany. And, he has a daughter named, Alexis, just like I do. That's where the similarities end, I'm afraid. He went on to do great things in countries all over the world while I sit in front of a laptop, my dishes soaking in the sink and I can't even grow lettuce.
     I totally called the outcome of the movie though. Couldn't figure out the "how" of the plot, but definitely picked up the "who". Rod didn't think there was any chemistry between Depp and Jolie, and I think I might agree. She's just way out of anyone's league. Anyway, if you're a fan of Depp, Jolie, old Hollywood romance and classy European accents, you will like this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment